Saturday, February 22, 2014

Ready for Action

I witnessed this afternoon a Dillon's supermarket employee who was alert and ready to spring into action. These are the kind of people that make Kansas a wonderful place to live.

As I loaded my groceries onto the counter at the Dillon's on Gage, I noticed that the cashier was new. She seemed young, in her 20s, and, by her accent, I guessed she was a recent transplant from Kentucky or Tennessee, although I didn't get a chance to ask. She was very efficient and polite, which impressed me.

Just as she handed me my receipt, a customer rushed over and said "someone has fallen in aisle 5." This clerk looked over, saw the woman on the floor, and yelled to the service desk: "call 911. We have a woman down in aisle 5." Then she ran over to see how she could help.

I had asked her to sell me another reusable bag to finish out my grocery loading, but obviously that didn't happen. So, I asked the bagger to load my remaining items into plastic bags. As he worked, I said "that girl is ready for action."

He looked at me squarely and said, "she is amazing. She is such a good employee."

I told him, "caring people like her are wonderful to work with."

Then I left as the ambulance and firetruck pulled up in front of the building.

1 comment: