Monday, February 8, 2016

Hang up and drive

Do I really need to say this?? It is 2016.

"Hang up and drive."

Twice this week I have been driving and people talking on phones have been oblivious to their surroundings, causing me to take evasive action (which they did not notice).

Topeka's older neighborhoods have some intersections with no stop or yield signs. I approached one of these the other day and a guy talking on a phone flew through the intersection. Of course I stopped and gave him the right of way. What should have happened is that we both stopped and treated the situation as a four-way.

Today, I was going around one of the circle parks (think roundabout) in our neighborhood and a woman in a mini van, talking away, did not yield (although I clearly had the right of way, having entered the circle first). I stopped so she wouldn't plow into me and she just kept talking, oblivious to the fact that I even existed.

Please. Kids, loose dogs, stray cats, bicycles, motorcycles are all out there.

Put down the phone and just pay attention. Always scan your environment while driving. Look ahead and look in your mirrors constantly. Driving is a huge responsibility. Take it seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment